Table of Contents
Download How to write great essays PDF
Every student needs to be able to write essays. How to Write Great Essays stresses the importance of clarity, word choice, and organization in essay writing. This book also helps readers build their knowledge of correct grammar and punctuation and familiarize them with editing, revising, and proofreading essays. Sample writing prompts and essays reinforce what students learn in this book.
How to write great essays by Lauren Starkey (Cover):
How to Write Great Essays will enable you to:
- Learn how clarity, word choice and organization improve your writing.
- Build your knowledge of correct grammar and punctuation.
- Become familiar with editing, revising and proofreading your essays.
- Master your skills and ace high school, SAT, and college admissions essays.
Introduction of book How to write great essays
In your preparations for college, you may find yourself facing a handful of high-stakes essays. Your college application requires at least one, and the SAT requires another. Depending upon the high school you attend, or the state you reside in, you may need to write an exit essay, or take the Regents Exam. This book includes specific strategies to help you write great essays, no matter which type you write.
In contrast to basic writing guides that contain plenty of information you don’t need, How to Write Great Essays focuses on the topics most important to you now. You won’t find a comprehensive guide to mechanics, but instead you will get short but thorough lessons on the most common errors made in grammar, spelling, usage, and how to prevent and correct these errors. Every chapter is designed to relate directly to your essay, giving you the knowledge and the know-how you need to succeed.
The book How to write great essays is divided into seven chapters, with the first five covering different aspects of the writing process:
- Chapter 1: shows you how to organize your thoughts and ideas before you begin writing, with techniques such as freewriting, brainstorming, and outlining.You will even learn why it’s important to read good writing while preparing your essay.
- Chapter 2: is about saying exactly what you mean by avoiding ambiguous language, using modifiers, eliminating unnecessary words and phrases, and using the active voice whenever possible.
- Chapter 3: examines word choice and how it can accurately convey your ideas. It explains the most common misused and confused words, denotation versus connotation, and inclusive language. Important advice about the use of spell checking software is also included.
- Chapter 4: teaches the most common mechanical errors so you can eliminate them from your writing. Troublesome parts of speech, issues such as noun-verb agreement, and punctuation problems are explained.
- Chapter 5: shows you how to revise, edit, and proofread your essay.You will find checklists to use during these processes, as well as tips from professional editors. The use of word-processing programs to help with editing is also covered.
The last three chapters of How to Write Great Essays will arm you with specific strategies for writing both timed (SAT, GED) and untimed (college application, exit) essays.
- Chapter 6: covers issues such as long-range planning, prewriting, and understanding the topics. Tips on writing to your audience and striking a balance between formality and informality are also explained.
- Chapter 7: shows you how to prepare for timed essays. Learn how to research your exam, how to familiarize yourself with possible topic choices,and how to budget your time during the writing process. The more you know before writing a timed essay, the less stress you will feel during the exam, and the better the writing you will be able to produce.
- Chapter 8: includes sample prompts and essays. Commentary at the end of each essay explains its strengths and weaknesses.You will be able to see how a number of writers approached both timed and untimed essay topics, and learn even more about how you can write a great essay.
- No other essay resource, either in print or online, gives you all of the information found in this book. Everything from prewriting and grammar, to finding and taking practice essay exams is here. We have done our homework. Now it’s time to do yours. Preparations begin with reading How to Write Great Essays.
How to write great essays by Pictures
Here are some extracts from How to Write Great Essays:
Other Book: How to read faster and recall More by Gordon Wainwright.
Details About How to Write Great Essays PDF
- Title: How to Write Great Essays
- Writer: Lauren Starkey
- Category: Education
- Series: How to Write Great Essays
- Paperback: 128 Pages
- Size: 4.3 M.B
- Edition: LearningExpress
- ISBN: 978-1576855218